October 05, 2009

Harvest!

Remember the garden!?!Tickle the earth with a hoe and she will laugh a harvest!
Vegetable man!
Our garden gave us a lot more than we bargained for. We have been busy saving it for future use. I finally bought our first pressure canner.
We canned loads of green beans and froze peas.
We are still deciding what to do with beets out the ying yang. Most likely they will be pickled.
We have been eating tomatoes like crazy and bottled a lot of them.
This year we had green, yellow, red and purple peppers. They have also been frozen.
We took corn to everyone in our neighborhood. They were so good. We even had some comments that it was the best corn they had had all summer. Its been frozen too.
We also froze a ton of peaches, strawberries and blueberries. We made strawberry and peach jam. We also harvested from our garden: carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, spinach, regular onions, and sugar snap peas. I think that's everything. What a bounty!

Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden.
~Robert Brault

5 comments:

Charity said...

Can I just say WOW. What a huge harvest! You must have a major green thumb :) Way to go Redd fam!

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow you must have been busy! Good job. We did a garden and it didn't produce near the amount yours did and it was hard to keep up with...but yummy.

Nicki said...

WOW! I mean really... WWWOOOWW!! I am amazed! That is awesome! I had my first canning experience this year. I canned 12 quarts of tomato soup. YUM!

adrianne s. said...

What a successful garden! I had tomatoes and peppers coming out my elbows, but I wish I had everything else that you had too! I love the quote at the bottom! It will be my new mantra!

Kelly said...

That is what I call a "Garden of LOVE!" Wow you are hooked up.. When the kids are Hungry you can say, "go munch on some Broccoli." Yummy! I bet it makes for preparing meal so nice to head out back to pick something new each night! What a treat!